Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Alone

"Language...has created the word 'loneliness' to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word 'solitude' to express the glory of being alone." Paul Tillich
I came across this quote quite by accident but it fits my mood today. Most days, I crave alone time because I desire solitude. I love silence, and having a chance to turn things over in my mind. More than that, I actually need time alone. I've burned out for a lack of solitude on one too many occasions.
Today is different though. Today, the sweetness of solitude has been replaced by a deep and unsettling sense of loneliness. Today, I am deeply aware that I will spend my evening in an empty apartment, cooking dinner for only myself. That all the decisions I face about everything- my health, school, work, family, I face on my own. Today I fear what I face tomorrow. Today my aloneness feels overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment