Monday, March 1, 2010

Practical skills that didn't come with a college degree...

So I am still paying off my college degree, even as I earn another one (that claims I will have Mastered something- ha!) But instead of theories of radical behaviorism or religious development in America, I wish I'd learned things like:
-How to dismantle a copy machine to un-jam it without getting toner all over myself
-Spanish for business instead of tourism
-How to write concise e-mails, business letters, and memos
-The importance of having a first aid kit in your desk
-How to avoid paper cuts when sending out a mass mailing
-The value of a caffeine addiction ... pros and cons
-What, exactly, to do with an unpredictable screaming person on the other end of the phone
-The importance of buying new tires for a vehicle BEFORE winter hits
-Budgeting
-Things NOT TO SAY to Human Resources...ever.
-Newton's other law: If you already have too many things to do you can guarantee 10 more things will land there in the course of a day, all marked urgent.
I'm not saying a college education isn't valuable. I'm just saying mine didn't do me any favors some days...

No comments:

Post a Comment